Ooookay folks, here's the scoop!
WARNING: picture and word overload
The day started with a routine appointment, a 41 week checkup, where they did antepartum testing because of my past due date. When they checked the fluids around the baby, they noticed my amniotic fluid was barely enough for them to not be worried. When they called in a doctor to give final word on whether or not I was okay to go home, she basically asked me if I'm willing to just come back today to be induced and have the baby now since Thanksgiving was coming up and she didn't want too much more time to go by without my body going in to labor on it's own. I tried to act cool and just answer her 'yes' I was happy to come back but I'm pretty sure something like, "YES! My whole family can be here now!" came out :-)
So I left the appointment to go home and get my bags and made all the necessary phone calls to everyone around. And I texted Zacho, "Looks like we're gonna have a baby tonight, darlin". To which he responded, "What?!?!?!?!?!?!?" :-)
Once Zacho was released from training and I got all settled in the hospital (LONG story there, but I didn't get to deliver at the Army base which made me super sad, and I ended up getting a stranger doctor at Christus Santa Rosa -read: the ghetto- but a little more on that later...) my Mom was able to come down and the three of us started the 'hurry up and wait' game of labor! :-)
After a few nurse pop-ins to check me for progress, they noticed that my body was coincidentally going into labor on its own, which was good and bad. It meant a LONG night for everyone and that I'd have to actually experience labor, which if you ever asked me how I felt about child birth you'd know that I was NOT interested in feeling ANYTHING :-) But the good part was that it meant Mac was ready and we weren't bombarding him with a mean little surprise.
So into labor I go, and it must not have been more than 45 minutes that a nurse who was monitoring me from the nurses station outside came in because she noticed Mac was under some distress every time I contracted. She showed me the monitor feeds and every time my body contracted (which I actually didn't even feel at this point, they were so early on) Mac's little teeny tiny heart beat would plummet and then take SOOO long to recover back to normal. It was the saddest thing! So she put me on an oxygen mask and had me turn on my side and said she'll be back to check and see if that fixes the problem. I figured that meant I wouldn't see her for another hour or so since that's what the pattern was thus far, but she ended up coming back in 2 minutes later and said, "we need to call the doctor". I guess the stuff she tried to fix didn't work and action needed to be taken pronto. Next thing I know, she's back in my room and telling me that the doctor (who I hadn't even MET yet mind you) is telling her I need to be prepped for a C-section because Mac was under too much stress for how early on in labor I was. I was in complete SHOCK and started crying when I saw the anesthesiologist. It all happened in a matter of about 20 minutes. I went from not even feeling contractions to being prepped for surgery! I think my body started trembling immediately and I was literally trembling the entire surgery and didn't stop until they wheeled me into recovery.
The surgery itself was traumatic for me. I am proud of myself for going through it, but I didn't really have a choice. I can't believe that it even happened though, since no one in my family has ever had to have one and it wasn't even something I was considering might happen. When I say it was traumatic, I can't even describe how much I was shaking... I've never felt less in control of my body. I felt pretty much everything during the surgery, of course not in a painful way, but in a 'holy smokes I just felt them cut me open, I just felt them pull out the baby, I just felt them clean out my abdomen...' kind of way. The epidural worked beautifully, if you actually WANT to feel what's going on. I would have much preferred to be put to sleep. They asked me if I'd like to, but the anesthesiologist pretty much made the decision for me not to, and in hindsight I'm grateful because it meant I was able to nurse Mac right away. And I wouldn't be able to have such a cool story to tell if I wasn't awake for all of it ;-)
Once they pulled Mac out, I saw them rush him over to the nurses, and I just heard him cry and cry. I would arch my back on the surgery table and try and look directly behind me to see him, but the doctors got mad at me for moving to much :-) Later, the nurses told me that the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times, and that's why my contractions were causing his heart rate to drop. The cord contracts with the uterus (which was news to me) and it was literally strangling him every time I contracted. SO SAD!! I just picture his little body struggling in there and it makes me SO grateful for the quick-acting team who got him out despite my tears and trembling and obvious trepidation about the whole thing. The main doctor who ordered the C-section and did the surgery definitely wasn't my favorite person in the room. I AM grateful to him for being a quick thinker and getting my baby out safely for me and Mac, but there are definitely areas of improvement in his job performance. Examples: I didn't even meet him until I was being prepped for surgery (so I was basically being told by some stranger on the phone that I had to under go this HUGE surgery and I couldn't even ask questions or get any sort of comfort on the matter) AND when I finally saw him in the operating room, he had quickly walked past my left side and when I turned around to see what he was doing, he was pacing the back of the room with ear-buds in his ears!!! SERIOUSLY?! What are you listening to that's so dadgum important RIGHT NOW?! A quick review of the lecture you recorded from your C-section 101 course????
Buuuut, in the end I can see the great work that he did. The more people I talk to that have had C-sections say that recovery is long and hard, usually about 6 weeks. I'm on day 8 right now and if I didn't have fishing line strung across my tummy, I think I'd feel pretty darn close to normal. I stopped taking pain meds yesterday and I can walk and hold Mac and pretty much do anything I want (minus exercise). And little things like Mac's umbilical cord were done beautifully and is healing perfectly. So the doc IS good at what he does. I can at least admit that ;-)
And I guess the rest is history! I was in the hospital a total of 2 and a half days. Mac stayed one extra night for jaundice (we were able to stay with him), and by day 3 we were headed home.
Zach and I can't even believe that we have a little family now. This little guy has completely changed us and changed our lives. We are madly in love with him. We just sit on the bed at night and just stare and him!! Such first-time parents :-) Zach's reaction to this whole thing has been equally amazing for me to watch, too. He is honestly the most incredible person. He took care of me, took care of Mac, and continues to jump at any and every opportunity to do what he can for us. And not only that, he is completely smitten with the little guy. He came running out of the room a couple days ago after we tag-teamed a diaper change and Mac ended up peeing before we could get the new diaper back on, and he said, "My son just peed all over me and I don't even care!!!" :-) There's been so many sweet quotes that I've tried to remember as he's said them, and honestly I feel like they are just too sweet to even share. He has had such a heartfelt, deeply emotional reaction to the coming of our new baby that it seriously makes me cry when I think about it.
And of course, I'm a changed woman too ;-) I am completely shocked that my body could make such a perfect little human being. Not to mention that he's absolutely adorable too :-) And the sleep deprivation is almost not even an issue (knock on wood, I realize it's only day 8 ;-) because I'm not just awake in the middle of night for no reason. This little life needs me and relies on me for everything! I am just so blessed to have this little guy with me all the time. We are definitely new best friends :-)
And I can't finish without thanking my amazing Mom for the incredible documentation with the pictures. You guys, she seriously did the most amazing job, as you'll see below. I had NO idea half of the stuff that was going on because I was being stitched up and what not, so when I sat down at my computer and uploaded the memory card I think my jaw hit the floor. I couldn't believe the incredible moments she was able to get! I can't thank you enough for that Mom! I will honestly cherish these pictures for.ever.




































18 comments:
There's so much I could say...but I reckon "good times" oughta sum it up pretty well. I love you and the lil fella so much. :)
Wow Chrissy!!! That is such an awesome collection of photos. Your mon DID do an awesome job! So glad you and sweet liitle Mac are doing well!!! Congrats!! Miss you!!
I'm so glad no one is paying attention to me right now as I get weepy reading your story. He is beautiful and your pictures are AMAZING. What a treasured collection those will be. Congrats again!
that was so fun to read and see, It seemed like I was there watching it all happen. Can your mom come take pictures at my next C-section? lol. man that is awsome such good pictrues.
Great post and great photos. Congratulations Chrissy & Zac! You guys are so lucky and look wonderful. I'm glad it all had a happy turnout and I hope you heal quickly. Good luck getting your sleep back!
dear sister freeman....you ROCKED those photos. some of the best i've seen. dear chrissy, i miss you. kiss that baby for me.
Totally made me cry. So scary! I'm so glad you posted this because The Colonel's version of the events didn't quite cut it. ;) The pictures really are incredible. The one of you on the operating table (bed?) made me gasp. Your face just says so much. I'm so glad the little guy got here safe. Give him a snuggle and a kiss from me!
Wow! I need some tissues right now. What an amazing birth story. I would have felt the same way about a c-section. Sometimes i feel like doctors these days opt for c-sections WAY too much but this goes to show me that sometimes they know what they are doing! So glad your little guy is healthy and happy. He is grateful to have such a wonderful family!!
Congratulations Chrissy! Amazing story, and great pictures. Your mom did an amazing job. And I have to say that you were happy, glowing, and gorgeous through the whole thing. You two are going to be great parents!
I never saw this in my blog updates for some reason...almost missed it!!! Your mom did get some amazing shots! I especially love the ones with you in focus on the table and Zach in the foreground. I'm so glad that little Mac arrived safe and sound and especially that he came in time for us to meet him so soon after he was born. One of these days I'll get around to the pics I took while we were there and email them to you. He is seriously one of the cutest newborns I've seen and I can't wait to see how he's changed when we come back out for Christmas! Congrats you guys :-)!
Oh, and I love his little pout in the one where he is being weighed. I bet you'll see that EXACT face many times over the years :-)!
My friend had a really hard time with an emergency c-section. In fact, she can't even talk about it. It doesn't matter how little Mac got here, just that you got him here! I hope you are feeling well.
These pictures are amazing and you look amazing! I'm excited to see all the updates and pictures of your perfect little man.
Like Marci, I didn't even see this updated in my blog roll - I don't know what is wrong with it, but it never updates anymore.
LOVE LOVE .. LOVE your birth story and all these incredible pictures. What an amazing ride it's already been .. and it's only just begun. So grateful for technology and great nurses who can catch things and know what is going on inside us and with our babies before they come out. So glad Mac is just fine and all is well. Enjoy each and every moment. Can't wait to see more pictures!!
Love Love Love it! THanks for posting. He is a Cutie!
Congratulations! I would probably cry if they told me I'd need an emergency C-secition too.
thanks for sharing your story! I love his pout face when he's getting weighed and the one where they're washing his hair- so cute! :)
Geez girl, you just make me cry and cry. Babies are so amazing!! (So are mommies :) ) And your mother did such a great job of capturing baby birthing moments. C-sections can be scary business, but the MOST important thing is that lil' Mac arrived safe and sound, no matter how he came out. (I'd known for several weeks before that I'd have a c-section with Hailey b/c she was breech pretty much the whole time, but it still made me nervous. As long as I didn't let myself think about it, I was ok - aside from the mini panic attack when I was lying on the table in the white OR, staring at the ceiling with my arms spread out... But we all survived!) What a blessing that you went to the doctor and they had the insight to thoroughly check everything out and then get you taken care of right away. Those cords are nothing to mess around with - you are one lucky, lucky girl. I have an aunt and a cousin who sadly were not so lucky with that, so when I read your birth story, I kept bawling for how grateful I was that your little guy came out ok. I love him so much! I wish I could hold him and hug you - you're like a sister to me and I miss you! Be easy on yourself, you've been through a lot! And don't get ahead of yourself. Everything else can wait. :) xoxo
Beautiful pictures!! So awesome that your mom documented this experience. I had an emergency c-section with my first son (and a VBAC the second time, which was great) and I remember shaking through the surgery too (and crying!!). It's definitely traumatizing and not something you envision when you've had a healthy, normal pregnancy, but I'm so glad your little guy arrived safely.
Post a Comment