Saturday, August 23, 2008

Holland

Finally landed in Holland! I actually didn't know that The Netherlands is the same thing as Holland. We were on the train from Belgium and Jackie explained that to me and I was like 'Wait, what? Were going to HOLLAND?!?!'














Day one we rented bikes and decided to head off into the countryside and out of downtown Amsterdam. Mac's Bike was happy to provide :) It was kinda funny being in their store because they had American rap music blaring! Not what you would expect from a nice little Dutch bike shop :)

























Sheep have always made me very happy, I think it's their fluffy bodies.



























Some miniature horses... and a crane.































Amsterdam is a river town built on tributaries from the Amstel River.














The adorable windmill where we met the man that lives inside and actually renovated it himself! The band-aids he put on the outside are to remind the people to protect and preserve the windmills as a part of Dutch history.














Me with my favortie Van Gogh painting called 'The Almond Tree'. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, so this print had to suffice. The actual painting is much smaller and was done to commemorate the birth of Van Gogh's son and the idea of new life blooming. He was quite the emotional fellow (also considering his whole ear cutting incident)

1 comments:

Nicole said...

Looks like a ton of fun!!! How great for you to be able to take such an extended trip! I hope to go to all those places eventually. What's next??