Saturday, December 22, 2007
I Ruined My Christmas
Posted by
Chrissy
Last Sunday, I was wearing a black plaid skirt, black corduroy jacket, and black tweed pumps with a red ribbon in my hair for our piano performance in the Christmas program. And to every girl's dismay, I didn't have a black bag to match. Although I only carry a wallet and chapstick with me, I firmly believe a purse is an accessory tool that is far too under utilized. My only bag is a brown-leather Hobo bag by Lucky (which was a STEAL from Ross that retails for $160 and I paid $60!) and I couldn't possibly sport this with my chosen duds this particular Sunday. So I headed down to the nearest department store, known as Mom's closet. I pulled down her little black purse from the shelf as I simultaneously yelled out the door to her for permission to use it. She acceded, and I immediately dumped out it's contents onto her bed... and what falls out? Nothing other than the number one item on my short, yet significant Christmas list, which I had been working on for a couple weeks and when finished was sure to provide her with no later than the first week of December, as usual. What was it? An I-Pod nano. The new cute, stalky ones. My original I-Pod, the first edition of the Mini, silver, was starting to sound like it was shifting from first gear into fifth every time I hit play... and that was about two months ago. It jumped up to number one on my list the day I pushed play and a little icon came on of an I-Pod with a sad face on it that said 'please contact apple support at www.apple.com'. That was a sad day for me. So you can imagine my emotion when the little plastic box came flipping out of my mom's purse that fine Sunday morning! However, I couldn't lie and pretend I didn't see it, and I couldn't react with shouts of joy because there was two of them and I knew the other was for my sister who was sitting in the next room. So I quietly stuffed them back into the bag, ran into the office where my mom was working, and held the bag out straight in front of me like a child that had broken her mother's vase, and said 'Mom, I think you need to clean this out before I use it' with my chin down and worried eyes looking up at her. As soon as it clicked in her head what I was talking about, she said 'Did you see anything?' I nodded. 'Oh damn you Chrissy' (I just love my mother, seriously, I am typing this with the most loving smile on my face). I hope you see the irony. I had just completely ruined my OWN Christmas. I made sure to ASK my mom for permission to use the bag and she gave me no warning of it's contents, and so I emptied it out with no thought beyond that. I just love how much my mom wanted to surprise me... she wanted so badly to make it a good Christmas for me. So she damned me, and sent me off to church to perform with an odd feeling of guilt that I was sure was unwarranted beyond ruining my own Christmas myself. I love my mother, she is human, and I just love her.

1 comments:
i love your mother too, and i absolutely burst out laughing when i read this post.
Post a Comment