Wednesday, June 30, 2010

'Where I been, what I done.'

Well friends, nothing fun to report over here.

I will give you a preview of what HAS been going on, though.

I failed to mention to everyone that the first Friday of our grand trip out to California we got a phone call from the dadgum Air Force telling Zacho he didn't get selected. Great timing, guys. Outstanding, really.

So we had that lovely, dark cloud hanging over our heads whilst we vacationed.

And the worst part? Coming back to work for Z. Mondays are ALWAYS tough. Mondays after vacations: ESPECIALLY tough. Mondays after vacations where you find out the job you really, really want doesn't want you?: Lemme tall ya.

So we've had conversation after conversation about options for Z. I have a hard time with the idea of military life. (Who knows? Maybe it would be the perfect fit for me/us.) The Air Force I warmed up to alright. But pretty much any other branch scares the b'jeebeez out of me. Well, turns out, there's really nothing else Z wants to do with his life. He is a patriot. He is honorable. He feels a deep sense of obligation and desire to serve his country and fellow man. As much as I want to deny it, put it off, or shake it out of him, he wants to be a soldier. (I fully understand is an extremely noble pursuit. It takes a special man. I'm just coming from my rather ignorant-about-the-military and personal-seemingly-selfish point of view. Which is basically a caveat for every post I blog, right? Take out the word 'military' and insert what you will.)

So that's where we're at.

See, this is why I haven't blogged in a while.

We've got a big decision to make before things start happening again. I've got a lot of research to do, and believe me, I'm doing it. Which reminds me, military wives who read my blog... any reading material (book, blog, magazine...) that you'd recommend for me at this stage in the process? I don't want to read about life once you're IN the military... how to prepare for deployments and what not is not what I can relate to at the moment. But something that will help me understand what to expect in general would be quite helpful. Or maybe you ladies just have some pearls of wisdom to share.

7 comments:

Brittany said...

I'll think of some pearls as I mow our big back lawn and get back to you.

Christine said...

I'm so sorry you guys! But I can relate... We've been up that "we regret to inform you" road too many times!!

I don't have any pearls of wisdom. If I'd jump on board, Steve would be in the military... yesterday. :)

Good luck in deciding what to do! Keep us posted!

Brittany said...

My fellow military wives honestly love it, including me (the vast majority are officer wives, though I have a few enlisted wife friends from all branches but marines).

Here are some positivies according to me:
1. job security, 2. excellent health care, 3. supportive commoradory from squadron (there were as many uniforms at our house and at the memorial as otherwise), 4. military discounts all over for all kinds of purchases, 5. patriotism and healthy pride, 6. it's great knowing your husband is doing what he loves

Here are some negatives: 1. deployments are hard and vary in length depending on rank and branch, 2. until you get up in rank the pay scale is small, 3. he'll get told what to do and bossed around a lot based on his job title and ranking, which can wear him and in turn you and your family down

I loved the book "Love in Condition Yellow" by Sophia Raday about her life as an army officer's wife.

Depending on what branch he gets into, if he enlists or is an officer, and what his actual job title is will make all the difference but I tried to be general in my answers. If you want more detailed answers about any specifics I'm always here. Love you guys, let me know if I can do anything.

Brittany said...

oh and the retirement benefits are pretty sweet too

Stacie Jean said...

Hi there! One of my favorite blogs I follow is a military wife blog and she has lots of blog wife friends who are in the same boat. Check out D.A.R's blog @ http://www.midwest-paradise.com/

Best of luck with everything :) I know transition is hard.... :/

Yes, keep us posted :)

Cheryl Joy said...

Hi Chrissy. Way back when, Zach wrote a blog post discussing which branch to join. I saw it way after the fact, and Mark commented, offering some honest comparisons. I don't know if Zacho ever saw it.

Other than that, I don't have much to say about the military... because they just took my husband back for another six months. NOT cool.

Amy said...

I've been thinking a lot about this post since I read it yesterday, trying to come up with something wise and helpful to say. I haven't come up with anything, of course. I wish I was there and we could just sit down and have a chat about it all. :)

Tim and I are withholding judgement about whether this army thing was a terrible decision or a great one, its still pretty hard to tell at this point. I will say that if this had been the kind of dream for Tim that it is for Zach, I think that might have made it easier for him. I will also suggest that if you guys decide to go army do OCS. Being enlisted, well, kind of sucks.

Good luck, I know how hard these decisions are. We'll be praying for you guys.