I have a very fond memory of a church youth group activity where we went kayaking in Monterey Bay. I remember taking off from the dock in my own little kayak and feeling so vulnerable out on the huge Pacific Ocean. But once I calmed down, I was in heaven. There were sea otters swimming around me, gorgeous shades of blues and greens shining through the water, and since it was nice and sunny you could see all the way down to the ocean floor where star fish were laying in the white sand. The memory is so vivid to me, and the feeling of bliss comes right back with it.
So on our trip, I was determined to take Zacho there so he could have the same memory to share with me.
Well, it didn't work out as planned. It was freezing, the water was 51 degrees, there wasn't a ray of sunlight, the wind was deafening, and the water was choppy. Zacho knew how much I was looking forward to this so we followed through with our kayak renting, although I had voiced to him that I didn't have a good feeling about it as we were walking in. We got suited up, we launched out, and almost immediately Zacho got sea sick and we turned around. And besides that, the water was black, the waves were scary, and the wind made things way too difficult. We did see a handful of otters, but it was too cold to care. So much for that idea! ;-)
But we did drive down the coastline and discovered some gorgeous beaches. (I should specify that they are gorgeous for Northern California standards. There is a big difference between the beaches in Northern vs. Southern CA). We ended up parking and taking a walk down toward Pebble Beach. I loved the moss covered rock and clear water circulating around it.
It ended up being a great day to remember.



So on our trip, I was determined to take Zacho there so he could have the same memory to share with me.
Well, it didn't work out as planned. It was freezing, the water was 51 degrees, there wasn't a ray of sunlight, the wind was deafening, and the water was choppy. Zacho knew how much I was looking forward to this so we followed through with our kayak renting, although I had voiced to him that I didn't have a good feeling about it as we were walking in. We got suited up, we launched out, and almost immediately Zacho got sea sick and we turned around. And besides that, the water was black, the waves were scary, and the wind made things way too difficult. We did see a handful of otters, but it was too cold to care. So much for that idea! ;-)
But we did drive down the coastline and discovered some gorgeous beaches. (I should specify that they are gorgeous for Northern California standards. There is a big difference between the beaches in Northern vs. Southern CA). We ended up parking and taking a walk down toward Pebble Beach. I loved the moss covered rock and clear water circulating around it.
It ended up being a great day to remember.




4 comments:
the most important thing is that you looked super cute.
...and zach has the whole California beach bum/Gilligan thing down too.
cute couple :)
Oh the joys of FREEZING COLD Nor Cal Beaches. It's always windy and usually cold. Glad you made the most of it and had a good time. It's all about the memories. You guys are adorable.
I totally remember that kayaking trip - and the sunburn that followed! I remember how beautiful and clear the water was and the sun on the bay. I do love those Northern CA beaches. I miss you! xoxo
That's too bad about your kayaking this 2nd time around. It looks and sounds like it was still beautiful and memorable though. Love your beachy looks.
Post a Comment