
I started watching the show "Friday Night Lights" a couple years ago, after I moved to Texas. The show is about a high school football team and their coach. It's a small town with high hopes for their players. I actually introduced the show to Zacho when we were dating, and he quickly fell in love with it. Last Thursday night, I saw for myself exactly why he liked it so much.
Zacho played football for Winston Churchill High School. The Chargers. He has so many fond memories from his football days... walking into the varsity locker room to see his fate as a Charger and seeing "Z. Oliverson, 85, TE" with helmet and jersey hanging there waiting for him in the locker (one of my favorite stories).
Every year when Churchill plays Clark, it's called "The Gucci Bowl"... as both high schools were the "uppity" schools in the district.
We decided we'd go to this year's Gucci Bowl.
If TV shows were ever able to mimic reality exactly, Friday Night Lights would be just about as close as it gets. I'll try and let the pictures do the talking... but let me just say this... cowboy boots, news cameras, and parents = one heck of a football game.
If anyone gets an opportunity to go to a Texas high school game, I highly recommend taking it.

Running onto the field. Please notice the cheerleader's face on the right. She is absolutely ECSTATIC at the opportunity to hold number 7's hand.

The sun quickly fell, and the lights lit up a pretty spectacular half-time show.
Sadly, the Chargers lost their season opener. The parent's drove out old Coach Gus for a newer, flashier coach with a star-quarterback son. Coach put his son at the core of every play, making him run nearly every ball. The Chargers got to the 1-yard-line a couple times, but couldn't muscle it into the end zone. The next day, the paper commented to Churchill, "Hope you're happy for running out your old Coach". The new Coach is known for favoring his boy, even at the expense of other capable, hard-working players.
I told you it was like a TV series.
Go Chargers.


7 comments:
Wow who knew how realistic that show could be? I love that newspaper headline and your band half-time pic.
G R E A T Post! You are getting better and better. It made me want to watch Friday Night Lights, it is a show I never want to end.
The photos are perfect....the first one is right out of Hollywood.
..oh, and don't forget, it was your dear mother who introduced this show to YOU! Your welcome, Zach.
Awesome pictures. We went to a high school game this weekend too, but I haven't had the chance to edit my pics. I was planning to call my post Saturday night lights so seeing your title made me laugh :-).
Awesome! I remember those days. I was part of the pep squad at Churchill for the 1990-1992 seasons. Wish I could have seen Zach play.
i have way to many stories i could share here...but i remember going to those games when i was little and amber was on the pep squad. i'd get so excited to see those chargers helmets shining under the lights...and it was my dream to join them and run through that banner...those were definitely some good times. and i'd just like to throw a shout out to good ol coach gus who put character and integrity before winning. (not that we didn't win a few ball games as well though)
Totally unrelated to your post....pic of Ali and the belly on my blog...check it out.
Those pictures are awesome. Now I'm curious about "Friday Night Lights". Would you believe I've never seen it?
Post a Comment