Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Inspired by the CMA's

I know this song was played constantly on country radio and I know most people are probably sick of it.  

But watching the CMA's tonight reminded of how much I LOVED (and probably safe to say still love) this song.  






I remember when I first heard it at last year's CMA's.  My mom and I were completely transfixed in front of the television.  Mom and I get emotionally attached to songs.  We both liked Sugarland prior to hearing it, and we think the lead singer is pretty.  During that performance we just stared at her, with the blue lights and her high-waisted black pants.  We sang it constantly around the house after this, and had the house's intercom dialed into country radio every day for weeks hoping the song would play.

I saw the video for it the first time when I was on the treadmill at UTSA's gym.  I ran in the mid-afternoon when the top country countdown was on.  I remember how the video completely took me away from my workout.  The way she sings into the camera, and then starts to cry, it's pretty incredible.  I made sure to watch the country countdown during my workouts the rest of that week.

I find it kinda weird how very struck I was by the power of this song.  I honestly don't know how many songs I can say I remember the exact place I first heard them or saw the video.  Pretty amazing the emotions that music can evoke.

6 comments:

Zach O. said...

i have the cma's dvr'd,lookin forward to watchin em...but yea that is a good song,i love the way music can evoke such emotions. don't know if i have any songs that i remember where i was the first time i heard it...but i find garth brooks "the dance" to be one of those powerful ones. (so cliche, i know)

Yangster said...

I love that song too. I belt it out when I'm in the car alone. It's one of those few songs that, when by myself, I think I sing decent. I'm not much of a music video person but there are 2 that really just makes me cry when I see it and transfixes me. The first if Martina Mcbride's Concrete Angel and Duffy's Warwick Avenue.

Marci said...

Since there was NOTHING on TV last night, I had the CMA's on while I was cleaning up the family room and I saw her win her award. I had never heard the song (since I don't listen to country music) but it also caught my attention and I stopped what I was doing to watch the clip of the video they showed. She looked gorgeous last night too.
Music is pretty incredible...it can totally take you to another time and place, in both good and bad ways, depending on the memory associated with the song.

michele cabiness said...

I have never heard that song before either, but I liked it! Now I will always remember that I first heard it on Chrissy's blog!

Diane said...

This is such a powerful performance. She was recently divorced and it looks like she called upon those emotions when she wrote and performed this amazing song. I wish I could sing like that.

Kelley said...

I love the richness of her voice and most of all how she sings from her heart. It is very moving. She's absolutely beautiful. I wish I could hear you and your mom sing along while it plays through your house intercom system. I bet it sounds great! You guys are too cute.