
Yesterday in my Institute class (which goes by the name of "Eternal Marriage") we talked about the importance of living a chaste life prior to marriage. How being chaste allows blessing to flow into your life. We (Mormons ;) believe that the physical aspect of relationships is important. So important, in fact, that most of 'the good stuff' is saved for marriage ;)
But, of course, it is difficult. Which begs the question: why would God want something so difficult from us?
We discussed an amazing little book that goes by the name of The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis (if you've not read it, please do. And then read Mere Christianity.) Screwtape letters left a pretty strong but growing faint impression on my young 13-year-old mind. But this quote, which I will paraphrase, left a profound impact:
~
The bad in our lives is always just as present as the good.
(here's where the paraphrase starts)
Trials are like an ever-present wind in our lives. We must always press forward, fighting the tempest, otherwise the wind will push us down; we will inevitably fall.
~
The discussion, which began around the topic of sexual purity, flowed quickly into trials and faith. Although difficult things are required of us, in ANY aspect of our lives, it is not in vain. We must remember the greater good. Eternal families, eternal happiness, growth, blessings, and love!
I am grateful for the sanctity of marriage and for the strength of the Atonement.
And I believe that these things with all my heart.

3 comments:
Me too! (and The Screwtape Letters is the next book up on our bookclub schedule - I've never read it and now I'm excited to)
Hahaha! The good stuff...
I believe them with all my heart too.
Post a Comment