Monday, September 22, 2008

Round Two

I learned a little more about Daisy today and took her out for round two!


I discovered that the lens I have functions best outdoors. The shots come out a gazillion times better outside.


I also read up on Chapter 3 of my handy dandy notebook (blues clues anyone?), which talked about the 3 different metering sets.


For anyone who cares: Matrix metering covers about 60% of the frame; meaning the lens views 60% of what it is seeing as focus-worthy and adjusts accordingly. This is great for wide open shots like landscapes and larger subjects. Center-weighted metering looks at about 25% of the frame, only in the center. This is great if the subject is one single thing (ie: a person) and the background is fairly lighter or fairly darker than the subject. The third setting is spot metering. This focuses on 2.5% of the entire frame. The camera catches a quick view, choses the center image to focus on and grabs it. This is ideal for a spot-lit subject.


I took the following 3 images with spot-metering. I adjusted the exposure according to the light available. But the spot-metering really made focusing so easy! I was out on my shaded patio... there is TONS of light coming in, some direct and some indirect.






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Love your handy dandy notebook. =o) It helps doesn't it? Looks like you're having a great time.

My lense is the AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm I think I need to save my pennies for more lenses instead of upgrading the body of my camera. The 6.1 megapixels is just fine for what I do. I need more glass though. Love your pictures!

Brittany said...

I love the lighting in these close-ups, they look professional

Anonymous said...

WOW! those are awesome!! the only thing lacking is a cow in a thought bubble.

Marci said...

I can't believe how awesome you are already!!!

Yangster said...

These are really really nice shots. Now I want a good camera too.