I had a really great discussion with my home teachers yesterday. The topic was 'hidden wedges' from Elder Holland's (? or maybe Ballard's...) talk. We talked for over an hour, but one point in particular really struck me. Daniel (my home teacher) mentioned that with regards to relationships, it is necessary to forgive those who have wronged us, but when that individual is not required to stay in our life it makes the forgiveness process so much harder. He expounded and said that when a relationship ends, and the two individuals go their separate ways, it makes it so difficult to have complete restitution with the circumstance we felt wronged in. This rung very true with more than one experience in my life.
That morning, I had just finished another chapter in my current book, called 'The Best Year of Your Life' (by Debbie Ford). The specific chapter I had just finished discussed how unclosed doors in our lives create an underlying intent (whether conscious or not) in all the decisions we make. For example, if someone has lied to us, and we don't resolve it, we lack trust in others and this effects the decisions we make. So, the book suggested that we find any and all of the unclosed doors in our life and take necessary action to abandon the ill feelings. I think you can see the direct link to the 'hidden wedges' analogy in my home teaching lesson...
What is ironic is that the first three unclosed doors that I found in my life dealt with relationships I had with others. In one case, specifically, I felt a need to forgive someone... who ironically... is no longer a part of my life and hasn't been since the moment I felt wronged. Thus, Daniel's comment about forgiveness even in times of separation really meant something to me. It's not that I haven't forgiven this person, but more like I haven't felt complete restitution about it. And I appreciated Daniel's comment if only on the level that he was able to bring to light why it is I may be having a problem with it, and not just that I should take more action to resolve it.
Just some thoughts I was having... :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment